JBA Kit Car Home Page
S V A
JBA SVA HINTS AND TIPS
(Singular Vehicle Approval)
Some notes from JBA. Anything I have added is printed in blue and enclosed in brackets e.g. (Mini pedal rubbers).
Photo of Livingston Test Station.
Although some areas have been covered in the build instructions the following will assist you.
1. Anti- Theft Device Retain the steering lock fitted to the Ford Sierra.
2. Demisting A demist System must be fitted with adequate airflow and heat being delivered to the screen.
3. Wipers and Washers Wipers must park in a horizontal rest position when switched off. Washer
Washer reservoir must have a capacity of at least 1 litre. otherwise covered in Text.
4. Seats and Anchorages Covered in Text.
5. Seat Belts and Anchorages Covered in Text.
6. Interior Fittings Some areas covered in Text, but:-
a. Non rigid materials can be used to cover edges to reduce radius requirements.
b. Use products with the required radius of curvature ie. 3.2 mm minimum.
c. Use the exempt area behind the steering wheel.
7. Radio Suppression Fit new good quality suppressed H.T. Leads.
8. Glazing Use glass of a recognised standard B.S.857 or equivalent
All glass must carry a manufacturers kite mark.
9. Lighting Covered in Text.
10. Mirrors Covered in Text.
a. Must display an acceptable approval mark.
b. Carry correct maximum speed design making.
12. Door Latches and Hinges Covered in Text but :-
a. Interior Handle must be accessible from adjacent seat position.
13. Exterior Projectors
a. Mascots must retract or detach leaving a base protruding by not more than 10mm.
b. A hand feature or fitting, which is contractible with a 100mm dia sphere, must have a radius of curvature greater than 2.5mm.
c. The car must be presented for testing with the hood erect.
d. Remember the exhaust tailpipe.
14. Protective Steering Use the donor column and an approved Steering Wheel. ( Use Sierra Steering Wheel.)
15. Vehicle Design and Construction.
a. Make sure no components foul one another.
b. Fuel, Brake Lines and Wiring are routed and secured properly.
c. Avoid Fuel/Electronics near heat source (Exhaust).
a. Use system fitted as standard to donor.
b. Brake Pedal Rubber must be fitted.
c. Use Ford Fluid Reservoir, which is transparent
d. A red low-level brake fluid warning light should be visible on the dashboard. This should be connected to the handbrake for test.
17. Noise Fit Silencer, secure and seal properly.
18. Exhaust Emissions Same as M.O.T., the engine installed will be tested to the relevant standards
for the year of manufacture.
19. Exhaust Emissions (Diesel) Same as 18.
a. Must be M.P.H. for U.K. use.
b. Must operate within the maximum design speed.
c. Speedo calibrations should be within the following tolerance.
NOTE:- There are a number of places where Speedos can be sent for re-calibration, or gauges purchased that can be calibrated manually.
At speedometer indicated speed between 35mph and 70mph (or the design speed if lower) the true speed must not be less than that shown in the following table.
21. Design Weight Covered in Text.
A Strap is Required over the Battery for Security.
Click on next page to continue.
Copyright JBA Engineering Ltd 2000.
Safe Driving All the Best Regards Robbie.
Use the Contents page to work your way round this site. Use the Site Map for the Build Pages.